14 July 2008

New Discovery.

I seriously love learning random facts!

This week I learned something that's really fascinating to me. (For all of you smart doctors out there, just be excited for me, okay?) :)

So CORTISOL. It's a hormone that causes stress, so we feel stressed when our cortisol levels are up.

SEROTONIN is a feel good hormone.

Repetitive movement decreases cortisol levels and increases serotonin levels.

So there is complete validity in the notion that exercise is a stress reliever. The repetitive movements of exercise decrease those cortisol levels and increase serotonin.

I joined the gym this week, and first of all let me just give a shout out to Summer for being my gym buddy and helping motivate me to really get there. Now I would just like to say that I have honestly noticed a difference in my feel good vs. stress level this week--even before I learned this cool fact. I love it! I love feeling good and being happy! And I'm so glad to know this, because it's even more motivation to get out there and exercise and not be lazy. (Which I have a major tendency to be...)

So here's to decreased levels of cortisol and increased levels of serotonin, and lots of days of increased happiness! :)

0 Geniuses: