I had to fly out of town yesterday for work again. It was one of those there and back the same day kind of trips. I got to the airport in plenty of time and didn't feel the least bit stressed, which is NOT always the case...
Anyway, so I was sitting at the gate waiting to board the plane. When it was past the time that the plane was supposed to have departed and we still hadn't even boarded, I got a little bit of a sinking feeling inside of my stomach. Not again.
The gate attendant came on the overhead speaker and said they were doing maintenance on our plane and that it was still going to take a while to finish, so they were giving us a different plane at a different gate. So we all walked to the new gate.
The new plane was a "prop plane." The gate attendant even called it that. It was so tiny it didn't even fit the gate. You had to walk to the end of the jetway, go down some stairs, walk out onto the tarmac, and go up only a few stairs to board.
We started boarding, and they made everyone get off and go stand back inside the end of the jetway to wait. (I took a picture of this on my camera phone, but I can't figure out how to get it from my phone to my computer because it's a phone they gave me at work.) They finally told us to just go back inside the airport.
Maintenance came to work on that plane.
I really couldn't believe it! This could NOT be happening again.
I called my boss. "Kristin, you really shouldn't send me anywhere I can't drive. It's not fair to torture everyone else trying to get on those flights because obviously something is wrong with me and airplanes." The conversation went on and we laughed about it for a bit.
When I hung up a little boy who couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 turned to me and said, "I don't think it's you." Do boys your age really have such mastery of the English language as that?? Thank you, though.
The gate attendant came on overhead again and said they were going to switch us to another plane again, so we were off to another gate. As I'm walking the same little boy walks up next to me (with his grandparents by the way--he wasn't there by himself) and said, "See, you're getting on a plane and you're going to finally fly! Probably never again, though..."
He really said those words! It was HILARIOUS!
Anyway, we ended up leaving shortly after that and I was able to make my appointment just a little bit late. Then I even made it back.
I was really grateful for planes that work, and for the lightening of the burden from the commentary of that small boy.
14 years ago


0 Geniuses:
Post a Comment