05 September 2008

The verdict is out...

...and my foot is not broken!!! I "just" tore a ligament.

So get ready for a good laugh as you envision this spectacle.

Tuesday morning. I'm walking down the stairs outside of my apartment to go to work. I have on the cutest new shoes and am really super excited about it.

(note that this is a picture of what they DID look like, before this tragic event...

So I'm 3 or 4 steps from the bottom (the exact number is pretty blurry, but I didn't have that many left to go). All the sudden my heel gets caught, my ankle turns sideways, and I am skateboarding to the bottom on my sideways turned ankle. (Now this is enough of a visual to laugh already! But the story keeps going...)

I get to the bottom and am flying forward still. I somehow manage to brace myself mid-air so that I do not face plant it, in my skirt, in front of the man walking out of the apartment on the bottom level and witnessing all of this. (BTW: I'm pretty sure the way I was able to manage stabilizing myself is because I am super-hero kind of strong!!)

So I'm managing to stand on both feet at the bottom of the stair case. The man asks me if I'm okay. I say, "Yeah, I think so." Then I take a step forward. My foot gives out under me and I butt plant it right into the parking lot.

I just sit there for a minute before attempting to get back up. I finally get back up and just stand there for a minute. My right foot is now THROBBING, and I don't know if I can walk. I stand for a minute and debate what I'm going to do. I finally take off my shoes, which are now broken, and slowly make my way back upstairs to get some different shoes and go to work. I throw my shoes across my livingroom, because I surely need to get back at this inanimate object for being the cause of so much grief! (Rational thinking, right?!)

I realize I'm okay to walk, that it is just a little sore. So I put on different shoes and go to work. As the day goes on, I become less and less able to walk, and the pain gets more and more unbearable. I get up at about 2:30 to go ask my supervisor something, and all the blood rushes to my head and I feel like I'm going to throw up and faint all at the same time. I hobble over to talk to my supervisor, and she tells me my face is all red. I tell her that I don't feel good and the pain is getting worse and worse. I call the podiatrist (foot doctor, who my mom worked with for about a billion years and loves me) :) and tell him what happened. He says come now. So I do.

Then I call my mom to come pick me up from his office because I really can't walk anymore. He says I either tore or broke something, and sends me to get a boot and xrays.


So now I have a really obnoxious boot that goes all the way up to my knee, but it makes me be able to walk, and I therefore really don't feel like I should complain too loudly.

I found out today that it is indeed torn, and not broken. At least my bones are strong amidst all of the crazy malfunctions of my other body parts! :)

Here is me now:

I'm glad to not be broken, and sad to be like this! I just hope this made you laugh, because I always like to provide good humor!

14 Geniuses:

Danielle said...

Oh my gosh - this is super funny!!! I am so glad it's not broken and I think you still look great!

K said...

So, don't buy such "cute" shoes anymore!

Actually, I am glad that you didn't face plant it - that would be horrible - and that nothing is broken (well, at least not in your foot!).

And now... off to the next dr. you go for a "hiney-hiney-whooa!"

andi said...

Oh, I needed a good laugh!! My eyes are little moist! (And I can laugh WITH you on that because I have done the SAME crazy things, resulting in walking casts and all." And you look pretty dang cute in your skirt and fashionable leg accessory!

Matt said...

The GOOD NEWS is that if you had puked and fainted at the same time, you could call it Painting and if your apartment is any indication, you are already an experience Painter.

Feel better!

Shannon said...

It happens to the best of us . . .

Shannon said...

Oh and p.s. I love your guts and am so glad I got to see you and that you've introduced me to the QT hot dog. :)

jackie e said...

oh...i'm so sorry. don't you hate doing things like that in front of strangers? good thing it's not broken and at least that boot helps you walk. does this mean you can park in the handicap spots? is someone around to help take care of you? remember when you were so good about walking home with me after i got my wisdom tooth out? i love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny you poor thing! I'm so glad that you are ok! So how have you been? We haven't talked in forever. By the way this is Amanda Wickens...now Baldwin from the singles ward back in Fort Worth! I hope all is well. Email me sometime...moncherie6584@yahoo.com! Take care and hope you heal well!

CourtneyB said...

I feel your pain! I tore a ligament in my foot and it was SO sore for weeks! Be sure and rest it and do any exercises you're supposed to while it heals! (:

Danielle said...

Andi said 'moist!' Hahahahahaha!!!

Josh and Libby said...

sorry about the fall! But the shoes sure were cute! The boot brings out your eyes...

ecuakim said...

Oh, Jenny, I'm so sad for you! I twisted an ankle once (jumping in leaves at BYU, too bad you weren't there!) and it was MISERABLE. But, at least I didn't ruin a perfectly darling pair of shoes!!! Dang, that just stinks! I miss you, too. Hope you feel better soon.

julie said...

so sorry about your foot, hope you are getting around okay. At least when stuff like that happens it makes you really grateful for a healthy body when it is over. I hope Texas fairs well with the hurricane

Danielle said...

Update por favor?