07 September 2009

Labor Day '09.

Danielle and I took a trip to Corpus Christi this weekend. It was so much fun! The theme of the weekend was, “No obligations.” We basically did whatever we felt like doing. It was so great!

The trip was destined to be great when we saw a road sign a couple of hours into the trip that read: “Welcome to Jarrell. This is God’s country. Please don’t drive through it like hell.” Haha! We laughed so hard—how clever, Jarrell. :) We continued down the road, jamming to music as to keep from being frustrated by Austin traffic. We were totally successful, having a blast and surely humoring the neighboring motorists. :) We arrived in Corpus 8 hours later (it’s normally a 6 1/2 hour drive), and stayed with my amazing friend, Becky.

We woke up Saturday and headed to the beach. This is what it looked like when we got there:


Due to this:

We didn’t see any lightning, so we got in anyway. The water felt great, and it was really fun! We watched clams dig holes in the sand over and over again, and I swear I could never have tired of that—it’s so cool! At one point we figured there must have been lightning somewhere, since the water was obviously charged as evidenced by out stray hairs standing straight up. We were just glad the lightning was nowhere near us.

The storm soon faded, and the face of the beach quickly changed:


It packed quickly! It was fun to be out there experiencing this natural beauty with so many people. Danielle and I talked about how sad it is that we don’t have the ocean where we live.


We cleaned up after the beach and went out for some amazing Mexican food. I have talked about La Playa restaurant before. We went there, and it did not disappoint. It is sooo delicious! Amongst us we had 2 fajita chimichanga plates and a fried avocado plate. And of course the green salsa to begin with—it is made with avocadoes and other salsa-y things, and it is TO. DIE. FOR. Seriously, it’s so yummy.


Here are the scrumptious delights—we forgot to take pictures until afterward:




We went downtown after dinner for a free reggae concert in the park. The weather was beautiful, slightly cool with a nice wind, making it very enjoyable to sit outside and listen to the concert.




We went to church Sunday and then Danielle and I drove to the beach to sit and enjoy its beauty once again. It was fun to again see lots of people out enjoying the natural wonder.



Who’s who?...




We drove home today, once again pulling in 8 hours later for a 6 1/2 hour trip. Our bums were super sore and at one point we discussed alternative options, but then we realized it was THE SALEMS tormenting us and did not let it get to us anymore. If you’re reading this and don’t know who THE SALEMS are, don’t worry—we just have overactive imaginations…:)

So now we’re home after a really great weekend getaway, back to face reality. I’m ready—I feel rejuvenated!

8 Geniuses:

Danielle said...

No, your computer isn't lying to you. It's really 3 AM and I'm posting this comment. *sigh*

I love this post! I wish I could just copy and paste it to my blog. Is there some sort of copyright law against that?

I miss you terribly.

Jenny said...

You should copy and paste--I hereby relinquish the copyright to you. :)

I miss you terribly, too. And I had insomnia again last night also. What the???

K said...

Maybe you had insomnia because of all the guilt you were feeling about experiencing La Playa without ME!!!!

andi said...

Ohhh, GOOD TIMES!! And your hair is long again- has it been that long since I saw you??

Lois Brown said...

what a fun trip! Loved hearing all about it!!!!

Jenny said...

K--must mean we're going to need another road trip soon. :)

Andi--I haven't cut my hair since I last saw you, because I forgot my hair appointment! :) I actually am trying to grow it out, though. It's been forever since it was long!

Lois--it was definitely a fun trip. I'm glad you enjoyed the telling of it. I love you and hope you have a good week!

Bobbi said...

That was a fun read, Jenny. I'm glad you guys got away!

ecuakim said...

Yes, I remember going to Becca's but I didn't remember that we all ate at the Mayan! I remember going on a date there once with what's his name, the one that went to California to go to Med school? Oh geez. I can't remember ANYTHING anymore!!! Except this, we watched The Mask and I hated it passionately. Funny the things I do remember.

I miss you too!
I'm thinking that you should take a trip to my house sometime!