05 March 2008

New Format

I have been thinking a lot recently. :)

One of the things I have decided is that I'm going to change the format of my blog posts a bit to make this more of a true "online journal." Do not be scared, but you will get to see more into the inside of my brain. So here goes the first hit...

I travel a lot with my job, which gives me a lot of opportunity for "pondering." Last week I did 2 adoptive placements, one right after the other. As I was driving back from the 2nd one in Shreveport, LA on Saturday night, my heart was totally filled with some sort of positive emotion. Was it happiness? Gratitude? Amazement?

As I reflected deeper, I realized it was all of these things. I think that amazement is really the best word I could come up with to encompass all of these great feelings.

It really is amazing to me to walk side by side with people through their journey of placing their child for adoption. To learn their story and what has brought them to this point, to see their struggles as they wonder back and forth if this is really the right thing to do, and then to see them put all selfishishness aside and give their child the opportunity for life that their circumstances do not provide, even though they want so bad for those circumstances to be different, and then to struggle through the pain of loss in the days, weeks, months, and even years to follow, and to go forward from the experience so strong and courageous and wise...

Then to see another family's loss close just a little as their dreams are fulfilled through the unselfish gift of the first family as they lovingly place this child into their arms, and to see not just a family created, but to feel the bonds, love, and understanding pour out between these people who days ago were complete strangers.

And to be able to be a part of this all. My heart bursts with gratitude for the opportunity to be a part of something so big and amazing and wonderful!! It aches with pain for all of the loss both couples experience. It wonders at the courage and strength of these good people. It is filled with joy for a newly created family.

Words are seriously inadequate to describe the wonder of this opportunity at this time in my life. I am so grateful to be able to help reach out to our Father's children and walk with them through this journey, and offer bits of support through their grief. I pray that the Spirit will guide me every day so that I can be an effective instrument in His hands to help His children, my brothers and sisters.

10 Geniuses:

Danielle said...

Thank you for updating. I have been wondering where you have been. I am not scared, but rather excited for this new format.

What an amazing job you have. Can it even be called a job? I think it's more work than a job. And obviously more emotional work than physical work. Cripes, I could never do it!!! But I'm glad there are people like you that can and do (and do it well).

Love ya, sista!!!

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
julie said...

That is beautiful. I'm looking forward to the new format; I'm sure it will inspire us all. I always knew you would do amazing things, who knew it would be this.

andi said...

Yeah. You are in the right place, right job.

K said...

Hey Mabel -
Thanks for peeling back and sharing more of you so that we can all appreciate that you are in our lives, but... STOP MAKING ME CRY!

Love - Edith

Danielle said...

Hi.

I shirley appreciate the fact that you are so busy with said job, but if I come to this page ONE MORE TIME and it's the same thing, I might take out a contract on you.

Wow, that sounded harsh, eh? Guess I been readin' too many John Grisham books...

But please, do update.

Kthxbai

ecuakim said...

Wow. That's amazing. You know, we have tons of families in our ward that have adopted. 5 that I can think of off the top of my head. 2 of these families adopted more than one child (siblings) from Russia. What a great challenge.

jess... said...

Amazing, that is what you are. Thanks for sharing your story. And like your sister said.....stop making me cry:)

Danielle said...

Um, hi. Your page hasn't changed.

Puh-lease?

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny! (Hope you remember me...Amanda Wickens...but I'm now married!) I like your posts!!! I've tried emailing you a few times and sent a few things to your address but then realized you had moved! Hope all is well and email me sometime (moncherie6584@yahoo.com). I miss talking with ya!