25 August 2008

The parable of the cow pies.

I would just like to thank my old institute teacher, Brother King, for the title of this post. He told me about a talk he recently gave in church that he titled, "The parable of the cow pies." It's an original title and talk, so let's give him the credit! He told me that the gist of his talk was that life is full of cow pies. So if that's what you look for, you'll find enough to occupy your whole time here on earth. In contrast, the Lord's plan for us is to experience joy in this life.

This is an idea that has been on my mind a lot recently. Sometimes life IS challenging, and it's easy to become overwhelmed by the thought that the challenge you face today is probably not the last one you'll ever face. I mean, sometimes I just want to throw my hands up in the air and say, "Then take me now!" Hopefully you'll understand what I mean by this, and not worry that I may need some sort of intervention. :)

Well, the point is that sure life is challenging, and the truth is more challenges will come. But there is reassurance, because in between those challenges the Lord allows us to have reprieves. We experience the joy rather than the challenge. So it's not really realistitc when we think (or I think, at least) that one more challenge is going to do me in. Because in those times of reprieve we get built back up and can start the next challege refreshed and on top of our game.

The even greater part is the guarantee we're given. That guarantee is that the Lord will ALWAYS stand by us, and never ever leave us alone in our challenges. I love that Isaiah reiterates that promise a multitude of times throughout his writings. Here is just a sampling of those passages:

-Isaiah 30:20-21 "And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers [note that the footnote clarifies that "thy teachers" means THE LORD] be removed into a corner any more; but thine eyes shall see thy teachers: And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee saying, This is the way, walk ye in it."

-Isaiah 45:2 "I will go before thee, and make the crooked paths straight."

-Isaiah 45:19 "I said NOT unto the seed of Jacob, seek ye me in vain." (emphasis added)

-Isaiah 49:15-16 "Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me."

-Isaiah 52:12 "For ye shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight; for the Lord will go before you; and the God of Israel will be your rereward."

-Isaiah 58:9 "Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am."

-Isaiah 59:1 "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither is his ear heavy, that it cannot hear."

-Isaiah 59:19 "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him."

This is just a tiny sampling of the whole overall point of Isaiah's writings: that the Lord is truly our Savior and Redeemer and is ALWAYS there. We just have to take the time to notice and to let Him in.

I am so grateful for His deliverance and peace. We really can leave challenges so much better than we were if we will turn to the Lord for His company and assistance. Even when the challenge doesn't "go away" like we (or once again, at least I) sometimes or most of the time want.

It's like our stake president, President Beesley, said yesterday, it's only the 2nd inning. It's not the end of the game. There are so many blessings waiting for us between here and the final 9th inning when the game really will be over. Let's not lose perspective!

5 Geniuses:

Danielle said...

I thought that first scripture was about eating??? ;)

Thank you for this, for many reasons. I need that reminder that I don't want to chose death (per our convo last week). Thank you for cheering me up on Friday!

Love ya!

Ellie said...

SO you have decided to let us leave comments now! I love it because now I can tell you have kick butt rockin' awesome I think you are! I am glad you still love me even though I didn't come play with you on Saturday! But I love you and I hope to play with you real soon!

Shannon said...

You are amazing.

andi said...

Well, there it is- your next talk for Stake Conference. :)

Thanks for that- I needed a refresher. (Come to think of it, I have speak on Sunday. Let's see... cut......paste.)

xoxo

K said...

There is one part of a cow pie that should definitely be included in this parable...

cow pies are often used for fuel.

So... we can use the challenges we face (AKA: the cow pies of life) as the fuel we need to draw closer to the Lord.

You know Pete Carroll would L-O-V-E this analogy! After all, he is all about cows!)